Halloween is also an occasion pets can enjoy. My black lab Freedom loves Halloween. He loves people coming to the door 'cause he thinks that they're visiting him. He also loves watching fireworks during his Halloween walk.
Fireworks aren't a favorite for most dogs. Last year, there was a large number of dogs whom ran away from their homes and ended up at the pound/shelter 'cause they were scared of the fireworks. If your pet gets frightened easily, send him/her to the kennel for the night or make sure the doggy door is locked on Halloween.
Even though Freedom is black, all dogs, if wearing a costume should wear something brightly colored or at least have a glow stick or two around their leash and collar. I picked up a few snazzy colors at the army surplus store which doubles as a safe jack-o-lantern light when we return home.
Not all pets like costumes. Most pet owners, myself included, love dressing their pets, however, if the pet is uncomfortable, this can be a serious hazard. Most costumes on the market are made for toy dogs. Rarely have I found anything for a lab of 68 lbs. Usually a cute Halloween scarf is good enough for the both of us in celebration.
Of course most pet owners, especially dog owners, know that chocolate is toxic to dogs. Children love chocolate, however, it's best to leave the chocolate treats to those home owners whom don't own dogs. For the safety of your pet, you may want to opt for non chocolate alternatives such as lollipops, gummy bears, etc. If you do suspect that your pup may have ingested some chocolate keep the Animal Poison control number on hand (888) 426-4435. Keep this number on your cell on speed dial just in case there are other dogs walking that night may end up in an accidental situation.
Xylitol, most commonly used as an artificial sweetener in diet candies and chewing gums is considered toxic to dogs. It causes a sudden drop in blood sugar levels which can lead to depression, similar to humans who ingest Xylitol in candy or gum. Also in some rare circumstances, liver failure
has known to occur. Stick with the regular sugar candies on Halloween for the kids.
Although relatively harmless and non-toxic, keep pets away from pumpkins as it may cause digestion issues. Freedom used to have a habit when walking up to people's houses on Halloween by biting a piece of a neighbor's pumpkin only to vomit the pumpkin a few minutes later in front of the door step of the next house.
Cats are independent creatures of the night and although mostly aware of their surroundings, are most likely to knock over a lit jack-o-lantern causing a fire. I am all about being traditional including a lit candle in a jack-a-lantern, however, there are good lighting alternatives that look just as nice and can prevent a potential disaster. Glow sticks of any color can add a dynamic dimension to designs especially in green, yellow and red colors. You can also use a small flash light, mini strobe light, fake flickering candles or even battery operated LED lights.
Have a safe Halloween luv Sheila & Freedom (my black lab)